Pages

Tuesday 11 February 2014

Best Poems Of Faiz Ahmad Faiz














Speak

Speak, your lips are free
Speak, it is your own tongue
Speak, it is your own body
Speak, your life is still yours

See how in the blacksmith's shop
The flame burns wild, the iron glows red
The locks open their jaws
And every chain begins to break

Speak, this brief hour is long enough
Before the death of body and tongue
Speak, 'cause the truth is not dead yet
Speak, speak, whatever you must speak___!!

Stanza

If they snatch my ink and pen
I should not complain
For I have dipped my fingers
In the blood of my heart
I should not complain
Even if they seal my tongue
For every ring of my chain
Is a tongue ready to speak____!!

The Incarceration Of Loneliness

On the far horizon waved some flicker of light
My heart, a city of suffering, awoke in a state of dream
My eyes, turning restless, still dreaming,
The morning, dawning in this vacuous abode of separation

In the wine-cup of my heart, I poured my morning wine
Mixing in the bitterness of the past, the poison of the present

On the far horizon waved some flicker of light
far from the eye, a precursor to some morning
Some song, some scent, some unbelievably pretty face
went by unknowingly, carrying a distressful hope

Mixing in the bitterness of the past, the poison of the present
I proposed a toast to the longings on this day of prison-visit
To the fellow drinkers of my homeland and beyond
To the beauty of the worlds, the grace of beloved's lip and cheek____!!

Tonight

Do not strike the chord of sorrow tonight
Days burning with pain turn to ashes
Who knows what happens tomorrow?
Last night is lost; tomorrow's frontier wiped out
Who knows if there will be another dawn?
Life is nothing, it's only tonight
Tonight we can be what the gods are

Do not strike the chord of sorrow, tonight
Do not repeat stories of sufferings now
Do not complain, let your fate play its role
Do not think of tomorrows, give a damn
Shed no tears for seasons gone by
All sighs and cries wind up their tales
Oh, do not strike the same chord again_____!!

Wasteland of Solitude

In the wasteland of solitude, my love, quiver
Shadows of your voice, illusions of your lips
In the wasteland of solitude, from the dusts of parting
Sprout jasmines and roses of your presence

From somewhere close by, rises the warmth of your breath
And in its own aroma smolders, slowly, bit by bit
Far-off, across the horizon, dropp by glistening drop
Falls the dew of your beguiling glance

With such overwhelming love, O my love
Your memory has placed its hand on my heart's cheek
That it looks as if (though it's still the dawn of the adieu)
The sun of parting has set; the night of union has come_____!!

We Shall See

We shall see
Certainly we, too, shall see
That day that has been promised to us

When these high mountains
Of tyranny and oppression
Turn to fluff and evaporate

And we oppressed
Beneath our feet will have
This earth shiver, shake and beat
And heads of rulers will be struck
With crackling lightening
and thunder roars.

When from this God's earth's (Kaa'ba)
All falseness (icons) will be removed
Then we of clean hearts-condemned by Zealots those keepers of
Faith,
We, will be invited to that altar to sit and Govern-
When crowns will be thrown off- and over turned will be thrones

We shall see
Certainly we, too, shall see
That day that has been promised to us

The God's name will remain (Allah will remain)
Who is invisible and visible too
Who is the seer and is seen
There will rise one cheer- I am God!
Who I am too
And so are you

Then the masses, people of God will rule
Who I am too
And so are you

There will rise one cheer- I am God!
Who I am too
And so are you_____!!

We Who Were Executed

I longed for your lips, dreamed of their roses
I was hanged from the dry branch of the scaffold
I wanted to touch your hands, their silver light
I was murdered in the half-light of dim lanes

And there where you were crucified
So far away from my words
You still were beautiful
Color kept clinging to your lips
Rapture was still vivid in your hair
Light remained silvering in your hands

When the night of cruelty merged with the roads you had taked
I came as far as my feet could bring me,
On my lips the phrase of a song,
My heart lit up only by sorrow
This sorrow was my testimony to your beauty
Look! I remained a witness till the end
I who was killed in the darkest lanes_____!!

It’s true– that not to reach you was fate–
But who’ll deny that to love you
Was entirely in my hands?
So why complain if these matters of desire
Brought me inevitably to the execution grounds?

Why complain? Holding up our sorrows as banners
New lovers will emerge
From the lanes where we were killed
And embark, in caravans, on those highways of desire.
It’s because of them that we shortened the distances of sorrow
It’s because of them that we went out to make the world our own
We who were murdered in the darkest lanes________!!

When Autumn Came

This is the way that autumn came to the trees
It stripped them down to the skin
Left their ebony bodies naked
It shook out their hearts, the yellow leaves
Scattered them over the ground
Anyone could trample them out of shape
Undisturbed by a single moan of protest

The birds that herald dreams
Were exiled from their song
Each voice torn out of its throat
They dropped into the dust
Even before the hunter strung his bow

Oh, God of May have mercy
Bless these withered bodies
With the passion of your resurrection
Make their dead veins flow with blood again

Give some tree the gift of green again
Let one bird sing_____!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment