Pages

Saturday 8 February 2014

Allama Iqbal Poems




















I Desire

I want to have the extremes of your Love
See, how silly am I, wishing for unachievable

I don't care if you maltreat me or promise to unveil your beauty
I just want something unbearable to test my fortitude

Let the God fearing people be dwelling in the paradise
For, instead I want to be face to face with you
(I don't want to go to paradise but want to observe the Divine Beauty)

O fellows, I am here for a few moments, as a gust,
Like morning star I will fade and vanish in a few moments.

I disclosed the secret in public
I need to be punished for being so rude_____!!

Mirza Ghalib

Through you the secret was revealed to the human intellect
That innumerable enigmas are solved by human intellect

You were the complete soul, literary assembly was your body
You adorned as well as remained veiled from the assembly

Your eye is longing to witness that veiled Beauty
Which is veiled in everything as the pathos of life

The assemblage of existence is rich with your harp
As mountain's silence by the brook's melodious harp

The garden of your imagination bestows glory on the universe
From the field of your thought worlds grow like meadows

Life is concealed in the humor of your verse
Picture's lips move with your command of language

Speech is very proud of the elegance of your miraculous lips
Thurayyah is astonished at your style's elegance

Beloved of literature itself loves your style
Delhi's bud is mocking at the rose of Shiraz

Ah! You are resting in the midst of Delhi's ruins
Your counterpart is resting in the Weimar's garden

Matching you in literary elegance is not possible
Till maturity of thought and imagination are combined

Ah! What has befallen the land of India
Ah! The inspirer of the super-critical eye

The lock of Urdu's hair still craves for combing
This candle still craves for moth's heart-felt pathos

O Jahanabad! O cradle of learning and art
Your entire super-structure is a silent lament

The sun and the moon are asleep in every speck of your dust
Though innumerable other gems are also hidden in your dust

Does another world-famous person like him also lie buried in you?
Does another gem like him also lie concealed in you?

Mu'tamid's Lament In Prison

In my breast
A wail of grief
Without any spark or flash
Alone survives
Passionless, ineffectual
A free man is in prison today
Without a spear or a sword
Regret overwhelms me
And also my strategy
My heart
Is drawn by instinct to chains
Perhaps my sword was of the same steel.
Once I had a two-edged sword
It turned into the chains that shackle me no.
How whimsical and indifferent
Is the Author of fates_______!!

Pathos Of Love

O Pathos of Love! You are a glossy pearl
Beware, you should not appear among strangers

The theatre of your display is concealed under the veil
The modern audience' eye accepts only the visible display

New breeze has arrived in the Existence' garden
O Pathos of Love! Now there is no pleasure in display

Beware! You should not be striving for ostentation!
You should not be obligated to the nightingale's lament!

The tulip's wine-cup should be devoid of wine
The dew's tear should be a mere dropp of water

Your secret should be hidden in the bosom somewhere
Your heart-melting tear should not be your betrayer

The flowery-styled poet's tongue should not be talking
Separation's complaint should not be concealed in flute's music

This age is a critic, go and somewhere conceal yourself
In the heart in which you are residing conceal yourself

The learning's surprise is neglecting you, beware!
Your immature eye is not the seeker of Truth, beware

Let the elegant thought remain in search of Truth
Let your wisdom-loving eye remain in astonishment

This is not the garden whose spring you may be
This is not the audience worthy of your appearance

This audience is the lover of the material sights
The purpose of your sight is the closet of secrecy

Every heart is intoxicated with the wine of thinking
Something different is the Tur of the Kalims of this age______!!

Story Of The DIAMOND And The COAL

NOW I will open one more gate of truth,
I will tell thee another tale.
The coal in the mine said the diamond.
O thou entrusted with splendours eve lasting.
We are comrades, and our being is one;
The source of our existence is the same
Yet while I die here in the anguish of worthlessness,
Thou art set on the crowns of emperors.
My stuff is so vile that I am valued less than earth,
Whereas the mirror's heart is rent by thy beauty,
My darkness illumines the chafing dish,
Then my substance is incinerated at last
Every one puts the sole of his foot on my head
And covers my stock of existence with ashes.
My fate must needs be deplored:
Dost thou know what is the gist of my being
It is a condensed wavelet of smoke,
Endowed with a single spark.
Both in, feature and nature thou art star-like,
Splendours rise from every side of thee.
Now thou become'st the light of a monarch's eye,
Now thou adornest the haft of a dagger."
"O sagacious friend!" said the diamond,
"Dark earth, when hardened, becomes in dignity as a bezel.
Having been at strife with its environment,
It is ripened by the struggle and grows hard like a stone.
'Tis this ripeness that has endowed my form with light.
And filled my bossom with radiance.
Because thy being is immature, thou hast become abased;
Because thy body is soft, thou art burnt.
Be void of fear, grief, and anxiety;
Be hard as a stone, be a diamond!
Whosoever strives hard and grips tight,
The two worlds are illumined by him.
A little earth is the origin of the Black Stone
Which puts forth its head in the Ka’aba:
Its rank is higher than Sinai,
It is kissed by the swarthy and the fair.
In solidity consists the glory of Life:
Weakness is worthlessness and immaturity."

The Intellect And The Heart

One day Intellect said to the heart
'A guide to the misguided ones I am

Being on the earth I reach up to the sky
Look, how deep in comprehension I am

Guidance on earth is my sole occupation
Like the auspicious Khidr 1 in character I am

Interpreter of the book of life I am
The Manifestation of God's Glory I am

You are only a dropp of blood, but
The invaluable ruby's envy I am'

Hearing this the heart said, 'All this is true
But look at me as well, what I am

You understand the secrets of life
But seeing them with my own eyes I am

Concerned with the manifest order you are
And acquainted with the inward I am

Learning is from you, but Divine Knowledge is from me
You only seek Divinity, but showing Divinity I am

Restlessness is the end of Knowledge 2
But the remedy for that malady I am

You are the candle of the assembly of Truth
The lamp of the Divine Beauty's assemblage I am

You are related to time and space
The bird recognizing the Sidrah 3 I am

Look at the grandeur of my station
The throne of the God of Majesty I am____!!

The Painful Wail

Consumed with grief I am, I get relief in no way
O circumambient waters of the Ganges drown me

Our land foments excessive mutual enmity
What unity! Our closeness harbors separation

Enmity instead of sincerity is outrageous
Enmity among the same barn's grains is outrageous

If the brotherly breeze has not entered in a garden
No pleasure can be derived from songs in that garden

Though I exceedingly love the real closeness
I am upset by the mixing of waves and the shore

The miraculous poet is like the grain from the barn
The grain has no existence if there is no barn

How can beauty unveil itself if no one is anxious for sight
Lighting of the candle is meaningless if there is no assembly

Why does the taste for speech not change to silence
Why does this brilliance not appear out from my mirror

Alas! My tongue poured its speech down
When war's fire had burnt the garden down 

The Morning Sun

Far from the ignoble strife of Man's tavern you are
The wine-cup adorning the sky's assemblage you are

The jewel which should be the pearl of the morning's bride's ear you are
The ornament which would be the pride of horizon's forehead you are

The blot of night's ink from time's page has been removed! 
The star from sky like a spurious picture has been removed! 

When from the roof of the sky your beauty appears
Effect of sleep's wine suddenly from eyes disappears

Perception's expanse gets filled with light
Though opens only the material eye your light

The spectacle which the eyes seek is desired
The effulgence which would open the insight is desired

The desires for freedom were not fulfilled in this life
We remained imprisoned in chains of dependence all life

The high and the low are alike for your eye
I too have longing for such a discerning eye

May my eye shedding tears in sympathy for others' woes be
May my heart free from the prejudice of nation and customs be

May my tongue be not bound with discrimination of color
May mankind be my nation, the whole world my country be

May secret of Nature's organization clear to my insight be
May smoke of my imagination's candle rising to the sky be

May search for secrets of opposites not make me restless 
May the Love-creating Beauty in everything appear to me

If the rose petals get damaged by the breeze
May its pain dropping from my eye as a tear be

May the heart contain that little spark of Love's fire
The light of which may contain the secret of the Truth

May my heart not mine but the Beloved's mirror be
May no thought in my mind except human sympathy be

If you cannot endure the hardships of the tumultuous world
O the Great Luminary that is not the mark of greatness

As you are not aware of your world-decorating beauty
You cannot be equal to a speck of dust at the Man's door

The light of Man eager for the Spectacle ever remained
And you obligated to the tomorrow's morning ever remained

Longing for the Light of the Truth is only in our hearts
Abode of Lailah of desire for search is only in this litter

Opening of the difficult knot, Oh what a pleasure it is 
The pleasure of universal gain in our endless effort is

Your bosom is unacquainted with the pain of investigation
You are not familiar with searching of the secrets of Nature_______!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment